This course includes a Day of Mindfulness Practice on Sunday 30th October 2022, from 10am to 4.00pm.
We meet at 6pm each Wednesday and finish at 8:30pm.
The course is suitable for those with prior meditation experience as well as those who have none.
You are asked to make a commitment to daily home practice of around forty-five minutes per day for the duration of the course.
The full price of the course is €350. A deposit of €100 is paid on booking and the balance is paid to your teacher who will let you know directly the payment options.
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) was developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in 1979.
In this MBSR course we will explore what we mean by the term ‘stress’ and how it manifests in our lives. The invitation is to explore the ways in which mindfulness can support us in responding to the events in our lives rather than being caught up in reactivity - how can we pause in the midst of the everything that is demanding our attention and tune into what is actually happening within and around us, and thus afford ourselves the opportunity to respond in more helpful ways. The programme promotes the development of self-awareness and general well-being. Stress is part of life, we cannot avoid it. We are encouraged to acknowledge life as it is, with all its joys and sorrows, and thus live in a more fully, with whatever is here.
We practice different forms of mindfulness practice including sitting meditation, the body scan and gentle mindful movement. As the emphasis is on bringing mindful awareness into everyday life, a commitment to daily home practice of around forty-five minutes is required.
Participants will receive a programme handbook to support learning and a weekly email summarising the content and practice instructions for that week plus guided meditation recordings.
When the course finishes there are online and in-person meditation groups you can join. This support can make a big difference to keeping up practice so that when we meet stressful times in our lives it is there to support us.
The programme aims to help us to:
● Use mindfulness to relate in healthier ways to worry and feelings of anxiety and to better manage stressful situations in both work and home life
● Become familiar with the workings of the mind, including the ways we avoid or get caught up in difficulties
● Sustain the practice of mindfulness as a self-care tool that can be integrated into our work and home life
● Explore ways of releasing ourselves from old habits of mind that increase anxiety levels
● Get in touch with a different way of knowing ourselves and the world
● Recognise the harshness of self-judgement and develop self-acceptance
● Be able to exercise greater choice in life
● Manage interpersonal relationships and conflict more effectively
● Experience improved feelings of self-worth and compassion for others
All participants who attend the programme fully will receive a Certificate of Completion in the “Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Programme” from The Mindfulness Centre on request.