How can carbon finance create opportunities for Indigenous peoples and local communities?
The Integrity Council for the Voluntary Carbon Market, along with Nature4Climate and Environmental Defense Fund are co-hosting this event at the Indigenous Peoples Pavilion in the Blue Zone at COP28.
For in-person attendance, a Blue Zone Badge will be needed. The event will also be live-streamed here - https://www.iipfccpavilion.org/
Working together with technical and strategic partners engaged with topics related to carbon markets and IPs and LCs at global, regional, and national levels, this public event at COP28 aims to:
- Highlight the critical role of social and environmental safeguards in fostering a high-integrity voluntary carbon market.
- Showcase examples of how carbon finance has supported nature-based solutions and supported sustainable development within Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities (IPs and LCs) territories.
- Identify key challenges and actionable steps to enhance Indigenous engagement and benefits within VCM finance and projects.
-Introduce the work already done by the ICVCM to consolidate integrity and include IP's and LC's rights and concerns into the CCPs and Assessment Framework.
Our esteemed speakers include:
- Mere Takoko, Vice President of Conservation International Aotearoa (NZ)
- Fermin Chimatani Tayori, Leader of the Harakbut people of Madre de Dios Peru and president of Anecap
- Isack Bryson, Hadzabe community member and project manager at Carbon Tanzania
- Melena Pollard, Toshao (leader) of River’s View, Guyana
- Navy Kroeung, Bunong community member and village coordinator for the Keo Seima project (WCS) in Cambodia
Moderating the discussion will be Mark Moroge, Vice President of Natural Climate Solutions at Environmental Defense Fund.
Angela Churie Kallhauge will be representing ICVCM alongside Patricia da Matta who will be representing Nature4Climate.
Join us for an enlightening conversation on the intersection of carbon finance and Indigenous communities' sustainable practices.
By registering for this event, you agree to join our mailing lists - you can unsubscribe easily at any point.